Tuesday, January 16, 2007

More homework for Boo. More hilarity for our family.

Tonight's assignment? A page filled with lower case t's and upper case T's. Trace the T's. Then color the lower case t's green and the upper case T's orange. It would eventually reveal a circus t-t-Tent.

Here's how it went.

Me: Boo... what did you do to that T?
Boo: I gave him an extra leg.
Me: I see that. Why?
Boo: See! So I could give him roller skates!
Me: That's very creative, but the teacher wants you to trace the T, not give him accessories.
Boo: I want to make fancy T's.
Me: Yes, but in this assignment, they want you to just trace the T.
Boo: I know how to make Ts. I want to make them fancy.
Me: Ok... I understand that... but what are you doing to that T?
Boo: He's waving! Hello! Hello!
(Matt walks into the room)
Matt: Want me to take over?
Me: Please.
Matt: She's just using creative license.
Me: Have I ever told you my creative license story?
(Matt shakes his head no.)
Me: When I was young, I asked my mom to explain e.e. cummings and his lack of capitalization. She said he was using creative license. I was really bummed out because I thought it was like a driver's license and you had to be a certain age to get one. By the time I could get a creative license, I'd be out of school and no longer need one. With a creative license, I wouldn't have to follow the rules in English class. I could just write without thinking.
Matt: You have to know the rules before you can break them.
Me: That's why you're Homework Guy. I like the roller skating T much better.

Thank you for watching my latest show and for your emails and comments!

Many of you wrote or commented with questions about the definition of "gifted child" and just what does that mean? That would be a great topic for a future show, so I will work on that.

No comments: